What is it?
The National Basketball Tournament is a one-day
tournament comprised of collegiate and alumni teams competing
and having fun in the fraternal spirit of Beta Sigma Psi.
When/where is it?
All games take place on Sunday, Jan. 17th at Santa
Fe Trail Middle School in Olathe, Kansas. The tournament will
begin at 10:00 a.m. Directions to the NBT site from the hotel
can be found under Locations and Driving
What is the format?
Teams will be organized into two separate pools
and are guaranteed four games in round-robin play. The top two
teams from each pool will advance to the championship tournament,
with the first place team in one pool playing the second place
team in the other pool in the semifinals. The winners of those
games will play each other for the championship.
What are the playing rules?
- 10-minute halves w/ running clock
- 1st half clock stops on timeouts
- 2nd half clock stops in final 2 minutes & on timeouts
- no overtime - except in championship tournament
- 1 60-sec. timeout per game
- 2 30-sec. timeouts per game
- 4 team fouls = bonus
- 6 team fouls = double bonus
- 4 personal fouls = ejection
- 1 technical foul = ejection + 1-game suspension
- 2 technical fouls = tournament disqualification
- and 1 fouls = free throw automatically counts
- Team Scoring for Group Play
- Win = 3 points
- Tie = 1 point
- Win by 15 or more points = 4 points
- Loss by 10 or less points = 1 point
- Player gets ejected = -½ point
What are the team eligibility requirements?
Each team must register for the tournament in advance.
The first 12 teams that register will be allowed in the tournament.
Each team that registers must submit a roster of at least 7 players
in order to be considered.
What are the playing eligibility requirements?
In order to play, collegiate members must be registered
for the National Convention and be listed on the official team
roster. Alumni participants must be listed on an official team
roster to play. Using ineligible players will result in a one-point
team penalty per game, with the possibility of forfeiting games.
Each participant in the tournament must sign a form
assuming personal liability for any injuries or illnesses. The
tournament commissioner has the final say as to which players
and teams are eligible to play.
How do you register a team?
Registration forms are available here.
Teams must register by Friday, January 8th, and will be accepted
on a first-come, first-serve basis.
How much does registering a team cost?
The registration fee is $125 per team. Registration
must be mailed to the National Office and postmarked by the registration